However, the path of true love does not run smooth, and Keir and Chloe have huge obstacles to face before they can truly be together.
What I liked about the novel:
- I really enjoy bitter-sweet stories (yes romance with happy endings can still be bitter-sweet!) and this one has a lot of sadness and darkness, which gives the story a lot more power than many traditional historical romances.
- I loved the romance and the deep feelings the two main protagonists have for each other. It truly is a 'love story' in the classic sense.
- The supporting cast of characters, and the secondary love stories, and all great and well-rounded. I must say that there were times when I preferred Chloe's feisty sister, Cassandra, to our heroine - and Summer (the young healer who appears at around the novel's three-quarter mark), is a fabulous character I would have liked to have seen developed further.
- I loved the action - there's not a dull moment throughout the novel. It sets a cracking pace and keeps you turning those pages.
What I didn't like so much...
I have given Fragments Of Grace 5 stars because I was thoroughly drawn in by it - however there were a couple of things that bugged me.
- I don't know how many times I heard that Chloe was the 'most beautiful woman in the whole North of England', and that her beauty was without comparison. After a while, it got a bit boring. I prefer reading about women who are a little more realistic, women I can actually relate to. As I mentioned above, I actually preferred Chloe's sister, Cassandra, as a character.
- Some of the descriptions were a little clumsy and rushed, which was a pity as there were some moments (especially towards the end), that deserved more attention given to them. Throughout the novel, there were a few too many instances of the author 'telling' us what the characters are like and how they feel, rather than 'showing' us.
Those niggles aside, I really enjoyed this book and recommend Fragments Of Grace to any lover of historical romance.
Buy a copy of Fragments of Grace on Amazon.
Sign up to Jayne's monthly newsletter and receive a FREE copy of NIGHT SHADOWS (PDF format). Newsletter subscribers will also get sneak previews of upcoming novels, behind the scenes 'extras', snippets about Anglo-Saxon England, from Jayne!